West End Congregational Church
The name of West End Congregational Church came into being in the 1890s when both Kirkcaldy churches voted to join the newly formed Congregational Union of Scotland, however it stood in direct succession to the original Congregational church founded in 1800.
The church emerged out of the great revivals of the late 18th century, when itinerant preachers toured Scotland, inspiring a more earnest approach to religious life. A small nucleus gathered for worship and prayer, and eventually formed themselves into a church, with a small chapel, the Cowan Street Tabernacle, being build near the seafront in the town. Though adhering to the historic tenets of the Christian faith, it stood for independence from theological creeds, ecclesiastical courts and any alliance with the State.
The early roots of the church were evangelical, but by time the church's identity formed around a more liberal Christian tradition. In the 1860s, division led to the formation of the Pathhead Church, however the depleted congregation still had the vision to construct a new building to replace the now inadequate chapel. It opened for worship in 1874 and became a prominent feature on Kirkcaldy High Street.
As the town prospered, so did the congregation, and many members played a significant role in the civic and business life of Kirkcaldy. As the 19th century gave way to the 20th, many organisations and activities developed as part of a thriving congregational life.
Growth continued throughout much of the 20th century, but decline came in the final decades. In 2015 both Kirkcaldy churches agreed to share in ministry, and as the relationships grew between members, so a process of coming together began, resulting in a re-formed Kirkcaldy Congregational Church being constituted in September 2018.